Monday, October 15, 2012

#8 Twitter and REFLECTION #7

After perusing through the Twitter feeds, I have come to various conclusions about the application of Twitter in the classroom. First, I become far too distracted when observing the various Twitter posts. This is partly due to my unfamiliarity with the program and also due to peers posts who have Twitter accounts. For this reason, if Twitter was to be used as an educational experience it would be necessary to have it strictly monitored and controlled to education related topics.  As far as a professional development tool, it seems that creating a professional portfolio would be more appropriate. I know that in my military career, Twitter accounts are disregarded as a credible source for information regarding promotional opportunities. In different professional settings, a Twitter account may be more appropriate for professional expression. As far as gaining ideas specific to education, it seems like a viable tool for referencing information and getting in touch with experienced educators.


REFLECTION #7

During my experience in the AVID classroom, i discussed having a Twitter account with the cooperating teacher. Interestingly, the teacher, having experience in the classroom for over 25 years had not one, but two twitter accounts. One was accessed for personal use while the other was utilized for professional purposes. I thought this was important because she uses the accounts often to find interesting new tips about technology in health and fitness courses to stay up to date with current trends. I believe that having two separate accounts is an effective way to better monitor the professionalism of specific accounts.

1 comment:

  1. Trey,
    I think you are right about having a professional portfolio being helpful because like you said, you will not have as many distractions or personal tweets. Twitter can be very usefull but I am also unfamiliar with how to run or browse it. Hopefully I will learn a little more.
    -Angie

    ReplyDelete